We’ve been watching the September Grand Sumo Tournament Highlights, and once again, Nenette spends the first few bouts glaring at us before leaving the room. With this behavior repeated day after day, tournament after tournament, she has formed a clear pattern and sends an undeniable message. Nenette hates sumo.
Does she really hate it, though? Maybe she’s bristling at the volume and frequency of our shouting while watching it. Or maybe she dislikes the Japanese language… we do a lot of our shouting in Japanese, because we shout the wrestlers’ names, all of which are Japanese – including the wrestlers who aren’t Japanese. We also say the names of the winning moves. And the wrestlers’ ranks. Anyway, it’s hard to say which part of the equation she hates. Maybe she’s bothered by all of the above.
Speaking of combat sports, the seasons are changing, and the garage gym will soon be usable again. Measures have to be taken first: fall cleaning. The mess in there! Thick layers of dust coat the floor mats and the equipment, and somehow, there are piles of mesquite pods festooning the whole place, even the far inside corners. Monsoon season did a number on the garage this year… with the garage door closed. The mysteries of life, I’m telling you.
Now my thoughts segue into my gym workouts. Of course!
Let’s talk about Body Pump 107. I did this latest workout release for the second time on Saturday, and I have an idea of what not to do. I should not spend the entire back track fixated on the lone dumbbell sitting in the corner in front of the person in front of me. No matter how confused I am that my weights seem to be too light, I should not obsess over the dumbbell in the corner.
Here were the thoughts racing through my mind during the back track:
- I think I’m doing this right, but how can I be when the dumbbell feels so light?
- I’m doing something wrong. I’m not working my back at all.
- Now I’m really not working my back, because I wasn’t focusing on the weird new moves in this weird new routine. Pay attention.
- Is that dumbbell in the corner Jessica’s? Would she mind if I were to run up and grab it?
- What is that dumbbell, anyway… is it a 12.5? A 15? It must be one or the other, because the 10 lb one is green.
- Is it blue, or is it purple?
- Whatever it is, I should go grab it.
- No, I should not.
- Clean and presses. Why is my bar-weight also too easy? I’m back to my original bar-weight, which is an increase from what I’d been using.
- Maybe it feels light because I missed both Wednesday and Thursday’s workouts.
- Should I try to increase my back weights next Saturday?
- Did my back weights feel too light last Saturday?
- Will I regret increasing my back weights on Saturday if I make it to all of my workouts next week and my muscles aren’t as rested?
- Ten clean and presses in a row, though. I might regret increasing my weight.
- But it’s not challenging at all!
- Maybe it’s not challenging today, but it will be next week at the same weight.
- I’m thinking in circles.
- I’m thinking too much.
- Is anyone else obsessing over their back weights in this release?
- The back track is over, and I didn’t work my back. The weights felt too light. I kept messing up due to distraction. My mind wasn’t integrated with my muscles.
- Maybe my weights felt too light because I did everything wrong.
- I cheated myself out of a decent back workout.
Welcome to my brain.