Today, I’m honoring several recent requests for an updated skincare regimen. This is going to be quite detailed, just so you know. Pass on over it if it’s not your thing. If it is your thing or you’re otherwise interested, keep reading.
The products I use are cruelty-free (not tested on animals), and most of it is vegan. I’ve provided links to all of it,* including the collagen supplement I’ve been taking daily for the last four months. You’ll find that link in the “Notes” at the bottom.
*I hope all of the links work. My computer froze up while I was writing this; I had to re-start, etc. I’ll check them after I post and fix them if needed.
Here we go!
Kind of extensive, right? I spend more time and money on skincare than I do on make-up. Good skincare translates to less make-up on my face, anyway, though.
Daytime routine (gym mornings)
I don’t do anything to my face before going to the gym in the morning. I don’t even wash it. I just put on sunscreen and go.
When I get home, I get in the shower and wash my face with Alba Botanica Hawaiian Facial Cleanser Pore Purifying Pineapple Enzyme.
After that, the routine (in order):
- Serum – Nourish Organic Pure Hydrating Organic Argan Face Serum
- Eye cream – Acure Radically Rejuvenating Eye Cream
- Water (again)
- Day cream – Acure Brilliantly Brightening Day Cream
- Sunscreen – Derma-E Natural Mineral Oil-Free Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30 (Face)
*I apply water to my face as if it were a product.
Daytime routine (non-gym mornings)
On mornings I don’t go to the gym, I exfoliate my face with Alba Botanica Hawaiian Facial Scrub Pore Purifying Pineapple Enzyme.
After that, I do the same routine (as above).
I take my showers at night. (If it’s a gym day, it’s my second shower of the day.) In the shower, I wash my face with Alba Botanica Hawaiian Facial Cleanser Pore Purifying Pineapple Enzyme.
After that, the night routine:
- Facial oil – The Body Shop Oils of Life Intensely Revitalizing Facial Oil
- Eye treatment – The Body Shop Drops of Youth Eye Concentrate (I like its roller ball massaging applicator)
- Night cream – The Body Shop Oils of Life Sleeping Cream
- Twice a week, I skip the routine and apply an overnight mask, instead. My favorite (which I finally found again!) is Freeman Beauty Infusion Brightening Overnight Mask with Hibiscus and Vitamin C.
[All of the above-mentioned products are great for both women and men]
I remove my make-up before getting into the shower at night. I use:
- The Body Shop Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter (for eye make-up, only)
- Yes to Coconut Cleansing Wipes*
- Yes to Cotton Comforting Micellar Cleansing Water
*I use the wipes with both the cleansing butter and the micellar water
Also pictured above, I forgot to say: the Pacifica Bali Coconut lip balm I use throughout the day, and Alba Botanica Very Emollient Maximum Body Lotion
[Products I loved but don’t use anymore because they’ve been discontinued: The Body Shop Honey & Oat 3-in-1 Moisturising Scrub Mask and Acure Magical Wonderfluff Overnight Hydrating Booster Mask]
- I take a collagen supplement (and I believe that my skin loves it)
- I do a facial massage in the shower as I’m cleansing my skin at night
- To dry, I press the towel to my skin lightly rather than wiping it over my face
- I pat on the serum (day) and the oil (night), and I apply the creams in an upward motion
- I extend the face products to my neck and upper chest
- I layer on the products, waiting 2-3 minutes between layers
Some of the following habits I’ve adopted for health reasons, but I believe they’re good for the skin:
- drink water in great quantities, basically non-stop all day
- avoid refined sugar and refined carbs (sugary sweets and beverages; white pasta, white bread, white rice, and white potatoes)
- avoid deep-fried foods
- avoid direct sunlight as much as possible (I have to, anyway, because of methotrexate)
- refrain completely from smoking and drinking alcohol
- eat fresh fruit and veggies every day
- work out 3x/week, unless life interferes. I would like to work out at least 4x/week, but for one reason or another, I haven’t managed to hit the 4th workout on a regular basis. Ideally, I would work out 5x/week.
I think this is about as thorough as it’s going to get, my friends. Some of it may seem, to put it in the parlance of our times, “extra.” But I’m a total skincare junkie, as you may already know, and I prefer DIY skincare… I don’t go to spas or salons to have anything done.
On a final note, if you didn’t laugh when you read “in the parlance of our times,” you need to watch The Big Lebowski again. Just saying.
A skincare post wouldn’t be complete without a pic, so here’s one from yesterday… as usual, no filtering or modifying, blah blah…
With that, I wish you a good weekend!